Present at almost every dinner table in Malaysia,
this simple, fresh, spicy sauce will go with just about anything
- 1 big red tomato, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3-5 fresh small red chilies, chopped
- 3-5 fresh small green chilies, chopped
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 small lime
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Dice every ingredient except the lime so it's ready for the blender.
- Blend until a smooth paste, adding water to your preference. Sambal can range in consistency.
- Put the sauce into a small bowl and garnish by squeezing the lime on top.
- Sambal is eaten in small quantities with rice, curries, noodles, chicken, and fish. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge and it will keep for a week.