Terung Dan Ubi Berlada
This fried eggplant and potato dish might sound a little plain,
but you're not going to be able to stop spooning more onto your plate!
- For the chili paste:
- 3 big fresh red chilies
- 3 big green chilies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- For the rest:
- 6-7 big potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 cups cooking oil, like palm or canola
- 3 tbsp tamarind paste mixed with 1 cup of water until dissolved
- 7 Japanese eggplants, cut as shown
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- To make the chili paste, blend the chilies, garlic, and onion with a cup of water. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat 5 cups of the oil. Fry the potatoes for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the potatoes by sieve and set aside.
- In the same wok, fry the eggplants for 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Remove by sieve and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 1 cup of oil. Add in the chili sauce, stirring constantly to release the aromatics. Add the sugar, salt, and tamarind mixture. Stir consistently for 10-15 minutes when the water has evaporated.
- Add the potatoes and eggplant to the pan and mix gently for 2 minutes. Serve hot.